You may wonder why this happens. The purpose of this post is not to explore the why, but to learn how to straighten your picture.
So, what do you do?
One way to fix the problem is to use Picasa web album. But what if like me, you don't use Picasa?
Here's what I do. Open the picture using GIMP.
If you don't already have GIMP, click on GIMP in the previous line. It will take you to the GIMP homepage. First download and install the free GIMP photo editing software.
Now follow these steps.
- Right click on the picture and choose "Edit with GIMP" from the drop down list.
- When GIMP opens the picture, you will get a message "According to EXIF data, this image is rotated. Would you like GIMP to rotate it in the standard orientation?" (The cause of our problem.)
- Choose "Keep Orientation".
- Now go to the GIMP file menu and choose "save" to save your file.
- When you upload the picture again, you'll see that your problem has been fixed.